Tuesday, May 15, 2012

My first 5K.

You may have noticed I haven't posted in a few days. Well, let me catch you up. Thursday May 3rd my husband was in a car accident. I got the call at work. I was heart broken. In shock. I left work at once. Went to the hospital, the Mr. fractured his knee, fractured his knuckles, bruised left lung and a small blood clot in his neck. There was defiantly someone watching over him. Something punctured his knee, we don't know what it was, but if it would have went 1 inch further he would have most likely lost his leg. It would have hit a main nerve. So he had "clean out" surgery on his leg. He is out of the hospital now, but that first week was stressful. After everything we went through with his back 3 months earlier this was not helping the situation. Things were just getting back to normal. The accident wasn't his fault. The other driver got sited for the accident. We are just blessed that God was watching over him.

So this happened 2 days prior to my first 5K. The flying pig in Cincinnati, Ohio. I told the Mr. I was going to pass on it. There would be other races. But he wasn't having any of it! He insisted I go. After thinking about it, I decided to go. After all, he was still in the hospital. The best place to be if something bad was going to happen. I was nervous though because I ate like crap the day before, plus I was on like 3 hours of sleep. I woke up and was pumped. It's amazing how the adrenaline can give you energy. We got lost going down, because the exits were closed. Long story short, my sister in law and I ended up running to packet pickup. I heard the guy saying 6 mins to start. I made it this far I was not going to miss it now. So I pushed through people and ran as fast as I could. Got my packet and went to the starting line. I couldn't believe how many people were running it. It was shoulder to shoulder. I didn't want to be in the front cause I knew I was too slow for that, but I didn't want the end either. I was here to PR. So I got in the middle toward the front. Seemed like seconds past and it was time. I think I started off to slow, but I was worried I would start off to fast and not be able to finish. It went pretty well, I think. I wished I would have been training outside more though. It wasn't too hot, but it was humid out. That caught me off guard. I ended up finishing 35:07. That is by far my best! Before then my best was 37:38. I wanted to be under 35 but I think I can live with that. I was proud. My hubby was proud. That's all that mattered. I'm glad I went. Here is a picture after the race. It was taken from my phone, so it's not the greatest size.
IMG_6133.jpg
With everything going on here lately I have been slacking on the working out. Just recently getting back into it as the Mr. is starting to heal. Today's run was 4.5 miles. I almost went to the gym. I told myself that I needed to get use to running outside more. I'm glad I did. It went super fast and felt great. I think sometimes I go to the treadmill because it's easier then outside. But today's run really gave me some confidence. I felt strong (well most of it). I was surprised at my pace. I thought for sure it would be the 12 min mile range. Boy, was I surprised to see average pace was 11:32. So from now on I will be doing at least half of my runs outside. Early in the morning or evening time. 

Did you get a run in today?

What's your best 5K? 

2 comments:

  1. My goodness Christy! So glad your hubby is going to be okay. Scary stuff for sure. I am so impressed that you could pull yourself together and do the 5K (and do SO well). Very proud of you my running friend! Take care and keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the Mr. is ok. Great job on the 5K!! That's an awesome time for your first race!

    ReplyDelete