Sunday, April 22, 2012

How and WHY I started running

Surprise!!!

The followers I have, and I use "have" very loosely, are probably wondering what happened. Well, I have changed the whole idea of the blog. Lets start at the beginning. In January, I realized I wasn't happy with my fitness level. I felt sluggish ALL of the time. So I started counting calories with www.myfitnesspal.com and exercising. I have always wanted to be a runner. I would see runners outside and wish I could do that. I had heard about From couch to 5K, last fall. I tried it, and quickly failed it. I think I tired it the end of fall early winter. Not a good time for a beginner to run outside. So I quit. I tried it again in January, thank goodness we had a mild winter, it stuck. Week after week I was still doing the program. It did take me a bit longer, as I repeated a few weeks, but I finished! 

Then things really got stressful. The Mr. hurt his back. Long story short, he had a ruptured disk. Had surgery and things are much better. But while going through all that, I turned to running. (And prayer! Lots and lots of prayer) I felt like there was nothing I could do. I wanted so bad to give him some relief. But there was nothing I could do, that I wasn't already doing. So running gave that to me. It allowed me to think about something other then him. It gave me a sense of control. Then my twin brother's world came crashing down. He and his wife called it quits after 9 years. He took it hard. So I took it hard. It hurt me to see him go through this. So, again, I took to running.

As of today, my first 5K is May 5th. The flying Pig in Cincinnati. I am beyond excited. I can't wait to take it all in! I am not a fast runner. Right now I am 12:00-12:50miles. I spend way to much time thinking about my pace, when really I should be happy. I mean, come on, 4 months ago I couldn't run 1 minute without feeling like I was dying! But I think we all are our own worst enemy! I know I am! I am currently following a training schedule for a half marathon. I have my eye on the Air Force base Half in Sept, but haven't registered. I just don't know if its something I can REALLY do. I guess time will tell.

Do any of you run?

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog, and I am now following you. I started running in January, as well, and I have documented my journey on my blog over at http://tabadilly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete