Monday, January 21, 2013

Changing goals and a confident long run

You have a problem when you schedule all vacations around a race. I was looking at my Runner's World magazine this afternoon, when I saw a advertisement for The Rock N Roll Marathon in Chicago. My first thought, "Is there a half?" Second thought after finding out there is, "How can I afford this?" I am not a big money maker. I have a decent paying job, that most days, I don't dread going into. My husband isn't Bill Gates. I have already spend 350.00 on races/hotels for upcoming races. So, I did the only thing I could think of. I went to Facebook. I asked if I had any kindhearted friends living in Chicago, and perhaps I could crash on their couch. It worked. I didn't even have to give a sappy made up story about how my best friend from high school died and was going to their funeral. There ARE nice people out there! Luckily for me, it is a person I trust. Most people on my Facebook  I trust. Although, there are a couple people I would have declined..or well at least took my husband's gun with me. So the plan is to leave Saturday morning, stay the night and the race is Sunday. Maybe do a little shopping afterward/relax, then head home. All in a days work, right? I'm so excited. I've been to Chicago once, and loved it. But I was much heavier then and hadn't started running. I do remember thinking it would be a great city to run. The Mr. and I will be trying again for a baby by then, so this could get postponed til the following year. Depends on how far along and if it's "healthy" to run. I'm terrified as it is to "try" again, I won't be taking ANY risks.

This morning I readdressed my goals. I am 10 pounds from my original goal. But when I was thinking about it, my ultimate goal is to get a sub 2hr half marathon time. I don't  care if that's 1:59:59 I want it so bad! The thing is I KNOW I CAN DO IT! But I think I need to be a little lighter then first thought. So I think another 20 pounds will help me reach that. Like I said, it has nothing to do with vanity. It's really about that PR. So I am going to lay off the beer. As of lately, I have really wasted a ton of calories on it. I will still have a drink here and there, but I really need to focus.

This past Saturday, I woke up and was questioning how the long run was going to go. Honestly, it was suppose to be 4 miles. But being the over achiever, I told myself 5. Well, it was one of those runs where EVERYTHING went good. I ended up stopping at 6.43, and only did that cause Hubby wanted to get to the gym before I went to work. I took a rest day the day before and had a unhealthy amount of ice cream. I just know that's what contributed to it. So I might make that as a rest day routine. The weather was great. There were a lot of runners on the trails and people walking their dogs. I love seeing people being active! It was one of those confidence building runs, that reminds you why you go through then pain in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment