Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Don't stop my run to chit chat!



I am not following a training plan yet. I won't be starting that until I get released from the Dr. (I got my blood work back today. Shouldn't be more then 2 more weeks. Hoping next week, but not holding my breath.) Basically, I am doing 3 miles every day. I really didn't want to run today. Mostly because I loathe winter. I use to be a fan of cold weather. Not so much now. I complained on Facebook for a couple minutes, saying: "Winter is the only time you will hear me say I would rather run on a treadmill. But I was sucking it up and hitting the pavement." I layered up and got to it. I always do this too. I dread the first half mile and then I warm up. There was no ice, which I was nervous about. The sky was so clear, every star was shinning bright. I got back to my house at a little over 3 miles. If I was cleared from the doctor I would have doubled that. Perfect weather, perfect scenery. 

Let me ask you a question. Does anyone else think it's rude to completely stop someone running to have a conversation? Let me explain. I was running tonight when this guy stopped me. He was older. Ummm, if I had to guess I would say late 50's. But then again it was dark and I would not be able make a living at telling age. Anyways, I guess it doesn't matter. I figured he had lost a pet or something. I have been stopped by several cat lady's looking for there beloved. This is how the conversation went:

Old man: How far you running tonight?
Me: Just a couple
Old man; Nice weather. 
Me: Yep. (Smile and nod. Go to resume Garmin)
Old man: Any ice out there tonight?
Me: (Losing patience) Haven't came across any yet.
Old man: That's good. Well, Ill let you get back at it. Nice talking to you.
Me: Same here. Take care.

Oh my word! First off let me say I am very friendly. More so then I should be really. I am constantly waving and saying hello to anyone who looks my way. I've always been like that. But even more so to fellow runners. It's like we have a bond. You get me, I get you. But if you want to have a conversation, get to running! I will gladly listen to how Sally rubbed black marker on your walls. How Oreo buried your favorite shoes in the backyard. But we need to be running! I should not have to stop my run to chit chat. That's the primary reason if I am running in daylight I choose trails. Once I start, I hate being stopped. My gym is about 3 miles away from me. So I've run there a couple times. But I end up hating myself every time. Traffic lights, cars and people walking. 

So my question to you, does this bother you too? 


2 comments:

  1. Im not on a training plan either. I need to work on getting myself to were I was two months ago. I lost so much endurance, Im so mad at myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy how fast you lose it. I'm already getting some of it back. I think it comes back faster then getting there in the first time. Hope that makes sense. You will get it back!

      Delete