Monday, January 7, 2013

Tis the season to be sick


The last couple days I've been under the weather. It started off as a sore throat. Then came the runny nose. Last night was a rough night sleeping. I would fall asleep for 10 minutes only to wake up coughing. I eventually did get some ZZZZZ's. But when I woke up I had chills. I got out from under the blanket for a bit and took my temperature. It was 103. Freaking great! Just what I wanted to see! I called to get a appointment at my Dr. They can't get me in until tomorrow  Add more fuel to the fire. BTW, what is it about Monday's and Dr. offices. I had to call two different doctors, and both times I was put on hold for what seemed like a century. I decided to take a sick day from work, and try the self medicating approach. So Tylenol to get my temperature down. Vitamin C to....well I'm not sure what that does, but I always hear that is good to take when sick. Then just some over the counter cold medicine. I could totally do the whole Dr. career thing! Bring on med school!!!

On top of being under the weather, I woke up really emotional. This is probable going to be TMI, but I woke up to a lot of blood. Just another reminder of what happened. I start to move on and then it's thrown in my face again. I tried the alcohol route. Eh, well not this morning. I think that would have been a little inappropriate  It was only 8 a.m. Maybe if it 10, I might have been able to justify a beer or two. Anyways, like I was saying. I tried drowning my sorrow in beer. It doesn't last, and it doesn't benefit my training. So, my only other coping mechanism is running. I was expecting it to suck considering I'm sick. But to my surprise it was the best run since being back at it. Just 3 miles, but it wasn't stressful. I didn't have to push to get there. Unlike the last couple times. My average heart was 137, which is where it should be again. The first couple runs they were 160 or higher. Hoping that in the next week my body returns to normal and I can start pushing.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear you had a better run. Hope things keep getting better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I guess when you hit rock bottom there is only one other way to go. Not that I think I have, I know there are worse things to happen.

      Delete
  2. My heart rate gets to be like 180 when I run, sometimes higher!

    Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling better today. Thank you! When I first started running my heart rate was around 170 or higher, but since I was training cardio so much, it only gets that high when pushing limits.

      Delete